Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Margo Evelyn's Nursery

Colin and I love simple clean lines, and babies respond best to high contrast so we wanted Margo's nursery to be modern and soft with gender neutral color pops. Adventure and exploration are the main themes with woodland creature accents and an outdoorsy vibe. 

I found the crib blanket fabric on Spoonflower.com and fell in love. I decided to back it with a solid red-orange and rustic cable-thread edging detail... well, I didn't really DECIDE to give it rustic-cable thread detailing, but that's what I'm calling it since I really just learned to sew so that I could make things for the nursery (shout out to Nana B for teaching me). The whole room was inspired by the fabric. It feels modern AND woodsy. 

I designed the art above the crib and changing table printed it with our new canon pro-printer. It's the bee's knees and I've been thinking about selling some of the designs online. The mobiles were a pain in the booty since I had to hand sew all the little critters for the one near the crib and then hand watercolor all the cards for the one near the changing table. Friends contributed the "Margo Evelyn" painting and vintage "M." Finally, that giant acrylic over the dresser is in the style of a previous series of paintings I did called "Elementary" that have a tribal feel with and geometry.

I think it's all about the details. From Colin's childhood copy of "Where the Wild Things Are" to my worn out teddy bear, this room has been intentionally put together with care for our daughter. 

The coolest part is that we did it together. Sure, I might have done most of the detail work, but not a single thing went into that room without Colin's input and physical carrying. Seriously. He spent HOURS putting together that dresser. Actually, the only piece of furniture that did not require assembly is my Grandma's chair (not the rocker... that had to be put together too!). He hung the art work. He painted the walls. He hung the hardware and fabric for the curtains and organized the furniture. 

I cannot wait to spend time in this room with our little girl.


















No comments:

Post a Comment