Thursday, August 11, 2011

Beauty



A gorgeous bridge over a river in the jungle. Wow.

The village we visited yesterday was stunning. I have come to realize that these places (we are so enraptured by) are seen as mundane by the people who live there. Rainforest covered mountains take my breath away. Hibiscus flowers capture my attention. The beauty of my surroundings is so obvious. I find myself frequently saying “We have nothing so beautiful in the states!” Always, without fail, a local corrects me. “No! You have much more beautiful places in the US.”

The exotic is always deemed lovelier. We always long for what we don’t see. Why are we so ill contented?

Click read more to hear my thoughts and see more pictures.

The other day someone told me that my pale skin made me pretty. In Malaysian and Filipino grocery stores, cosmetic face washes and creams have “lightening” agents. In a world where dark skin is the norm, white skin is desirable.

At home, my fair skin is considered “pasty” by Hollywood standards. We have tanning salons to make our skin darker… despite the known side effect of causing cancer. In a world where light skin is the norm, tan skin is desirable.

The exotic is always deemed lovelier. We always long for what we don’t have. Why are we so ill contented?

Maybe it comes down to a longing to see more of God.

All of nature… all of the cultures, languages, and skin colors of the world… they reflect God’s glory. He is creator, and his creation provides general revelation. When we see something we haven’t seen before, we see a deeper glimpse into God. As humans, we desire knowledge of our maker. Maybe that’s why the exotic is so enthralling.

Still, God is creator of all. Every place speaks of him. Open your eyes to his presence with you... in this very moment.


Bidayuh Village, Malaysia
Victory Knoll, Huntington IN


Manila, Philippines

Mattawan, MI

Galveston, TX
Tungku, Malaysia

South Haven, MI
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia


1 comment:

  1. A beautiful post, Rachel. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete